Are you looking for the best lump charcoal for your next barbecue? For those looking to invest in a high-quality charcoal that will provide the perfect flavor when cooking their dishes, lump charcoal is an incredibly popular option. Lump charcoal burns hotter and cleaner than traditional briquettes and can often cause less smoke and flame flare-ups.
With so many options out there, it can be hard to know which one is right for you but fear not! In this blog post, we’ll take a glimpse at some of the best lump charcoals available on the market today so you can make an informed purchase decision. So sit back, relax, and let us guide you through our comprehensive analysis of the top performing brands around!
What is Lump Charcoal ?
Lump charcoal is made of hardwood that has been burned in a low oxygen environment. This process creates charcoal that is pure carbon with very few impurities. Lump charcoal burns hotter and cleaner than other types of charcoal, making it the preferred choice for many grill masters.
Lump charcoal is made from a variety of woods, including hickory, oak, maple, and mesquite. The type of wood used will affect the flavor of the food being grilled. For example, hickory lump charcoal imparts a smoky flavor to meats, while mesquite lump charcoal adds a sweeter taste.
Many companies that make lump charcoal also sell it in blends, which are mixtures of different types of wood. Blends allow grill masters to customize the flavor of their food.
Lump charcoal is a bit more expensive than other types of charcoal, but many people feel that it is worth the extra cost. Lump charcoal burns hotter and cleaner than briquettes, making it the preferred choice for grilling. It also imparts a subtle wood flavor to foods that can enhance their taste.
You might be interested: Top 5 Best Charcoal Briquettes 2022
How to Choose the Best Lump Charcoal That Suits Your Needs?
As we all know that Lump Charcoal is one of the best options for barbecuing. It is made up of 100% natural hardwood with no additives. So, it is completely safe to use. If you are planning to buy the best Lump Charcoal, then there are certain factors that you need to consider before making the purchase. Let us have a look at those factors:
1. The source of the wood:
It is important to know about the source of the wood from which the Lump Charcoal is made. There are two types of woods- hardwood and softwood. Hardwood produces better quality Lump Charcoal as compared to softwood.So, it is always better to choose Lump Charcoal made from hardwood.
2. The type of wood:
There are different types of hardwoods like oak, hickory, maple, etc. Each type of wood imparts a different flavor to the Lump Charcoal. So, you need to decide the type of wood that you want your Lump Charcoal to be made from.
3. The size of the Lump Charcoal: The size of the Lump Charcoal also matters a lot. If you want use it for grilling small items like burgers or hot dogs, then you should go for pieces of Lump Charcoal. But, if you want to use it for grilling larger items like or chicken, then you should go for bigger pieces of Lump Charcoal.
4. The price:
The price of the Lump Charcoal also varies according to the source and type of wood used for making it. So, you need to decide your budget before making the purchase.
5. The sustainability of the product:
If you are concerned about the environment, then you may want to choose lump charcoal that is made from sustainable wood sources. Some brands use only hardwood trees that have been sustainably harvested, while others use a mix of hardwood and softwood trees. Consider your environmental preferences before choosing a brand of lump charcoal.
6. The storage: It is important to know about the storage conditions of the Lump Charcoal before buying it. If you are planning to use it immediately, then you can buy it in small quantities. But, if you want to store it for later use, then you should buy it in larger quantities.
7. The brand: There are many brands available in the market that offer best quality Lump Charcoal. So, you need to choose a reputed brand that offers good quality products.
8. The reviews: It is always better to read the reviews of the people who have already used the product before making the purchase. This will help you to get an idea about the quality of the Lump Charcoal.
These are the few factors that you need to consider before buying the best Lump Charcoal. So, keep these factors in mind and make the purchase accordingly.
While it’s not always easy to know which charcoal is best for your needs, these top picks will help you get started.
Top 5 Best Lump Charcoal 2022 for Smoking & Grilling Reviews Buyer’s Guide
Our Top Picks
Below, we’ve rounded up some of the best Lump charcoal on the market.
1. Best Overall – Jealous Devil All Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal
The charcoal is made from pure, ultra-dense South American hardwoods and contains no chemicals, fillers, or scrap material. That means it’s light on toxins and big on flavor, giving your food a delicious smoky taste that can only be achieved with real wood charcoal.
This charcoal is made from 100% premium hardwoods, making it ideal for any grill, smoker, or kamado. It lights quickly and burns evenly, providing superior heat retention for perfectly cooked food every time.
This premium charcoal provides superior burn performance (over 7000kcal/g). Hotter temperatures (max over 1170F) and longer burn times than other leading brands (4+ hours open grills / 20+ hours in smokers). With its high energy output and long-lasting burn.
Jealous Devil All Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal is perfect for enhancing the flavor of your favorite meats without overpowering them. Whether you’re cooking whitefish or brisket, Jealous Devil Lump Charcoal will give your dish that extra something special that will make your taste buds dance.
- Very little ash
- Subtle smokey flavor
- Outstanding heat control
- Bad packaging
2. Kamado Joe KJ-CHAR Big Block XL Lump Charcoal
This is a bag of charcoal made from hardwood. It’s not as nice or pure-burning, but at least you’ll get more use out if it since its size makes grilling easier on your food rather than having to light each individual stick
The fibers are pretty dense so they burn slow enough without going out too quickly before cooking time reaches perfection.
It can burn up to 18 hours, making it ideal for long cooks. Plus, it’s reusable up to three times, so you’ll get plenty of use out of it.
Kamado Joe KJ-CHAR Big Block XL Lump Charcoal is the perfect choice for anyone who wants the perfect cook every time.
If you want great value with amazing taste that won’t break your budget then this is just what we’ve got here – an excellent hardwood charcoal option from one our favorite brands. This is charcoal that is leading in the top best charcoal on amazon
- Good quality hardwood lumps & long lasting fire
- Low ash
- Nice large lumps that stay lit.
- Not the greatest charcoal around in terms of flavoring.
What do buyers say? 88% of 4,000+ Amazon reviewers rated this product 4 stars or above.
3. Royal Oak Chef’s Select Premium Hardwood Lump Charcoal Briquettes
Looking for a premium lump charcoal that is perfect for grilling and smoking? Look no further than Royal Oak Chef’s Select Premium Hardwood Lump Charcoal Briquettes. Made from only the finest hardwoods, our charcoal is designed to give you superior performance and results every time.
Whether you’re grilling up a steak, chicken, or fish, our charcoal will help you achieve the perfect sear and flavor. And because it’s made from 100% natural hardwood, you can be sure that your food will taste great and be free of any chemicals or additives.
If you’re looking for a charcoal that produces very little ash, Royal Oak Chef’s Select Premium Hardwood Lump Charcoal Briquettes is the way to go. Compared to other charcoals, this option burns cleaner, so you don’t have to worry about pesky ashes getting in your food.
It’s perfect for both high and low-temperature cooking, they’re easy to light and provide even burning. Designed for use in traditional smokers, ceramic or non-ceramic grills.
- Designed to improve airflow and create a cleaner, more even burn.
- Burns slow and hot
- A huge 40-pound bag of charcoal will last a long time.
- This product is made of 100% hickory and American Oak with no chemicals or fillers added.
- 40 pounds of charcoal is difficult to move or store
- A bit pricey
4. Fogo Super Premium Oak Restaurant Quality All-Natural Lump Charcoal
Fogo Super Premium Oak Restaurant Quality All-Natural Lump Charcoal is made from 100% all-natural hardwood. This 17.6-pound bag of super lump charcoal is perfect for long cooks. And because it’s all-natural, you can be sure that there are no chemicals or additives in your food.
If you’re looking for the perfect lump charcoal for your ceramic style like Big Green Egg, Primo, Kamado Joe, and more look no further than Fogo Super Premium Oak Restaurant Quality All-Natural Lump Charcoal.
With large pieces of 4 inches or larger, it fills at least 80 percent of the bag, making it a great choice for grilling or smoking. The larger pieces have more surface area which helps longer burn times.
- Packing issue
- A bit pricey
5. Harder Charcoal HAXLWC33 100 Percent Natural Lump Charcoal 33 LB Bag
This restaurant-grade charcoal is made from 100% all-natural ingredients. The XL size is great for bigger grills and smoker cookers, and the natural lump charcoal provides even heat and long-lasting performance.
This charcoal is made from the Quebracho Wood, which is also known as the “axe breaker” due to its density and hardness. This makes it the perfect type of wood for creating charcoal, as it burns slowly and evenly.
This charcoal is perfect for ceramic Kamado style cookers like Primo, Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, and more, making it a great choice for grill masters of all stripes.
If you’re looking for a charcoal that produces steady, extreme long-lasting heat without excess smoke and sparks, then look no further than Harder Charcoal’s HAXLWC33 100 Natural Lump Charcoal. This superior quality charcoal is designed to give you the perfect cooking experience every time. Made from 100% natural ingredients, it burns cleaner and hotter than other brands. It’s also incredibly easy to light and control, so you’ll never have to worry about uneven cooking or flare-ups again.
- Awesome temp control
- Long burn and low ash
- Good quality hardwood lumps.
- Packaging is wasteful
Types of Lump Charcoal
There are two main types of lump charcoal: hardwood and softwood. Hardwood lump charcoal is made from denser woods, such as hickory and oak. This type of charcoal burns hotter and slower than softwood lump charcoal. Hardwood lump charcoal is the preferred choice for many grill masters because it provides a more consistent heat during cooking.
Softwood lump charcoal is made from lighter woods, such as pine and poplar. This type of charcoal burns quickly and produces a high heat. Softwood lump charcoal is often used by professional cooks who need to generate a lot of heat quickly.
Lump charcoal is also available in blends, which are mixtures of different types of wood. Blends allow grill masters to customize the flavor of their food.
How to Use Lump Charcoal
Lump charcoal can be used in any type of grill or smoker. It burns hotter and cleaner than other types of charcoal, making it the preferred choice for many grill masters.
To use lump charcoal, light it using one of the methods below:
Chimney starter: Fill a chimney starter with lump charcoal and place it on top of the grates. Light a piece of newspaper and place it under the starter. The newspaper will ignite the charcoal, which should then be allowed to burn for about 20 minutes.
Electric starter: Place lump charcoal in the grill or smoker and insert an electric starter into the center of the pile. Turn on the starter and wait for the charcoal to ignite.
Lighter fluid: Soak a piece of newspaper in lighter fluid and place it under a pile of lump charcoal. Light the newspaper and wait for the charcoal to ignite. Once the charcoal is lit, allow it to burn for about 20 minutes before adding food to the grill or smoker.
Lump charcoal can also be used in a campfire pit. To do this, build a small teepee out of twigs and place a piece of lump charcoal inside. Light the teepee with a match and wait for the charcoal to ignite. Once it is lit, add more twigs until the fire is as big as you need it to be.
Tips For Using Lump Charcoal:
1. Soak your lump charcoal in water for at least 30 minutes before using it. This will help to ensure that it burns evenly.
2. Use a charcoal chimney starter to light your lump charcoal. This will help to prevent the formation of harmful chemicals.
3. Place the lit charcoal on one side of your grill or smoker, and leave the other side empty. This will create a two-zone cooking area that will allow you to control the temperature of your food.
4. Use a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature of your grill or smoker. This will help you to avoid overcooking or undercooking your food.
5. Dispose of your used lump charcoal properly. Do not simply throw it in the trash. Invest in a charcoal disposal bin or compost it.
How to light Lump Charcoal ?
Lump charcoal can be lit using a number of different methods. The most common method is to use a chimney starter. To do this, fill the chimney starter with lump charcoal and place it on top of the grates. Light a piece of newspaper and place it under the starter. The newspaper will ignite the charcoal, which will then fall down into the grill.
Another method is to place the lump charcoal in a pile on the grates and light it with a match. Allow the charcoal to burn for about 20 minutes before adding food to the grill.
What not to do with Lump Charcoal
There are a few things that you should not do with lump charcoal.
1. Do not use lighter fluid or any other type of accelerant to light lump charcoal. This can be dangerous and cause the charcoal to erupt into flames.
2. Do not leave burning lump charcoal unattended. Always extinguish the fire completely before leaving the area.
3. Do not dispose of used lump charcoal in the trash. Allow it to cool completely and then place it in a metal container or add it to a compost pile.
4. Do not use lump charcoal that has been treated with chemicals or other additives. These products can be harmful to your health and the environment.
5. Do not use lump charcoal that is more than a year old. Older charcoal may not burn as hot or as clean as fresh charcoal.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that you are using lump charcoal safely and effectively.
How to Store Lump Charcoal
Lump charcoal should be stored in a dry, cool place. It can be placed in a metal container with a lid, or it can be stored in its original packaging. Be sure to keep the charcoal away from children and pets.
Once lump charcoal has been used, it can be disposed of in a number of ways. It can be placed in a metal container and allowed to cool completely before being disposed of in the trash. It can also be added to a compost pile or used as fuel for a campfire.
What are the benefits of using Lump Charcoal :
Lump charcoal is a natural product that is made from wood. It burns hotter and cleaner than other types of charcoal, making it the preferred choice for many grill masters. Lump charcoal also provides a more consistent heat during cooking, which can help to enhance the flavor of food.
1. Lump charcoal burns hotter and cleaner than other types of charcoal.
2. Lump charcoal is made of pure carbon, so it creates less ash than other types of charcoal.
3. Lump charcoal is available in a variety of woods, which allows grill masters to customize the flavor of their food.
4. Lump charcoal can be used in any type of grill or smoker.
5. Lump charcoal is easy to store and dispose of once it has been used.
Lump charcoal is also a sustainable product that can be reused or recycled. It is a good choice for those who are looking for an environmentally-friendly way to grill or smoke food.
What are the best Lump Charcoal ?
There are many brands of lump charcoal available on the market. Some of the most popular brands include Royal Oak, Fogo, and B&B. It is important to choose a brand that is made from high-quality wood and that burns hot and clean. Lump charcoal can also be made at home using wood from a variety of different trees.
What Makes a Good Lump Charcoal ?
The best lump charcoal is made from hardwood trees that have been burned in a low-oxygen environment. This process creates charcoal that is high in carbon and that burns hot and clean. Lump charcoal should be free of impurities such as dirt, dust, and chemicals. It should also be easy to light and produce little ash.
Lump Charcoal Vs. Briquettes
Lump charcoal and briquettes are both made from burned wood, but they are not the same product. Briquettes are made from sawdust and other wood scraps that have been bound together with additives. They often contain fillers such as clay and coal. Lump charcoal is made from whole pieces of wood that have been burned in a low-oxygen environment. It contains no additives or fillers.
1. Lump charcoal burns hotter and cleaner than briquettes.
2. Lump charcoal is made of pure carbon, while briquettes often contain fillers and additives.
3. Lump charcoal is available in a variety of woods, while briquettes are typically made from just one type of wood.
4. Lump charcoal can be used in any type of grill or smoker, while briquettes should not be used in open grills or smokers.
5. Lump charcoal is easy to store and dispose of, while briquettes can be more difficult to store and dispose of.
Lump charcoal is the preferred choice for many grill masters because it burns hotter and cleaner than briquettes. It is also a more sustainable product since it can be reused or recycled.
Determining The Best Lump Charcoal For You
The best lump charcoal is the one that best suits your needs.
If you are looking for a hot and clean burning charcoal, then you will want to choose a brand that is made from high-quality wood.
If you are looking for an environmentally-friendly option, then you may want to choose lump charcoal that is made from sustainable wood sources.
Ultimately, the best lump charcoal is the one that meets your personal preferences.
Common mistakes when using Lump Charcoal :
There are certain mistakes that people generally make while using Lump Charcoal. Let us have a look at those mistakes:
1. Not prepping the Lump Charcoal properly: It is important to prep the Lump Charcoal properly before using it. Otherwise, it will not produce enough heat and will not cook the food properly.
2. Overloading the grill: People generally make the mistake of overloading the grill with too much Lump Charcoal. This will lead to uneven cooking of the food.
3. Not allowing enough airflow: It is important to allow adequate airflow while cooking with Lump Charcoal. Otherwise, it will produce less heat and will not cook the food properly.
4. Not letting the fire die down completely: It is important to let the fire die down completely before disposing of the Lump Charcoal. Otherwise, it will produce harmful fumes that can be dangerous for your health.
5. Not using enough Lump Charcoal: It is important to use enough Lump Charcoal while cooking. Otherwise, the food will not cook evenly and will not taste good.
6. Cooking for too long: It is important to cook the food for the right amount of time. If you cook it for too long, then the food will get burnt.
7. Not cleaning the grill properly: It is important to clean the grill properly after every use. Otherwise, the Lump Charcoal will get stuck to the grill and will be difficult to remove.
8. Not storing the Lump Charcoal properly: It is important to store the Lump Charcoal in a dry and cool place. Otherwise, it will get damp and will not light up easily.
9. Using sub-standard Lump Charcoal: It is important to use good quality Lump Charcoal. Otherwise, it will not produce enough heat and will not cook the food properly.
10. Not following the safety instructions: It is important to follow the safety instructions while using Lump Charcoal. Otherwise, it can be dangerous for your health.
These are the few common mistakes that people make while using Lump Charcoal. So, make sure that you avoid these mistakes while cooking with Lump Charcoal.
Frequently Asked Questions about Lump Charcoa (FAQs) :
1. How much Lump Charcoal should I buy?
This depends on how often you plan to use it and how much you need for each grilling session. If you want to use it regularly, then it’s a good idea to buy in bulk so that you always have some on hand. Otherwise, you can buy smaller quantities as needed.
2. What is the best way to store Lump Charcoal?
Lump charcoal should be stored in a dry, cool place. It’s best to keep it in an airtight container or bag so that it doesn’t absorb moisture from the air.
3. How long does Lump Charcoal last?
Lump charcoal can last for several years if it’s stored properly. However, it’s best to use it within a year or two for the best results.
4. What is the difference between Lump Charcoal and Briquettes?
Lump charcoal is made from 100% natural hardwood with no additives, while briquettes are made from sawdust, wood scraps, and other materials bound together with chemicals. Lump charcoal burns hotter and cleaner than briquettes, so it’s the better choice for grilling.
5. How do I start a fire with Lump Charcoal?
There are several ways to start a fire with lump charcoal. You can use a chimney starter, an electric starter, or you can light it with newspaper and kindling.
6. Where can I buy Lump Charcoal?
Lump Charcoal is available at many different stores. It is also available online.
7. How do I store Lump Charcoal?
Lump Charcoal should be stored in a dry and cool place. It should not be exposed to moisture or direct sunlight.
8. What are the uses of Lump Charcoal?
Lump Charcoal has many uses. It can be used for grilling, smoking, or even baking. Lump Charcoal is a versatile product that can be used in many different ways.
9. What are the side effects of using Lump Charcoal?
There are no known side effects of using Lump Charcoal. However, always follow the safety instructions that come with the product.
10. What are the different types of Lump Charcoal?
There are many different types of Lump Charcoal. The most common type is made from hardwood trees. There are also other types of Lump Charcoal that are made from coconut shells and bamboo.
With these FAQs, we hope that you will be able to purchase the best Lump Charcoal for your grilling needs. So, keep these factors in mind and make the purchase accordingly.
The best lump charcoal is made of100% natural, hardwood with no chemicals or fillers. It’s the perfect choice for grilling, and it gives your food a delicious flavor.
Lump charcoal is ideal for grilling because it lights easily and burns evenly. You’ll get frustrated trying to light briquettes, and you don’t want your food to taste like chemicals. When it comes to the best lump charcoal, I recommend Royal Oak or Jealous Devil, Fogo Super Premium. They’re both high-quality options that will give you great results. Do some research and find the brand that works best for you – your grill (and your tastebuds) will thank you!